Twelve cool things to do while visiting Chicago
Chicago is always in the news and more often than not, for all the wrong reasons. Reports of murder and mayhem are usually the top story that ends with tragic results. I’m a Chicago child, born and raised and I hold tight the Dorothy’s mantra in The Wizard of Oz, “there’s no place like home.” In simpler words, not matter what you hear or read, I love this beautiful city.
One should never find themselves bored in the Windy City; there is always something to do. Chicago and Chicagoland are home to more than museums, galleries, and organizations than one can name. Including in this mix of cultural organizations are the Museum of Science and Industry, Adler Planetarium, the John G. Shed Aquarium and the Field Museum of Natural History who exhibits and collections originated from the 1893 World’s Fair.
Museums and art galleries can be a drag to some people and if you are one of this people, there is no reason to cancel your visit to Chicago. There are hundreds of things to keep you entertained.
- Taste of Chicago – it speaks for itself
- Check out a comedy show at the famous Second City
- View the city from the top of the Willis Tower (Chicagoans still call it the Sears Tower)
- Take a river taxi, it’s a cool way to get from the Willis Tower to North Michigan Avenue
- Ride the Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier
Chicago Style Hotdog, Garrett’s Popcorn, Deep Dish Pizza
- Check out a drag show at The Baton
- Love zoos, we have two, Lincoln Park Zoo and Brookfield Zoo (Brookfield is huge, wear comfortable shoes)
- Eat a Chicago Style Hotdog and remember, ketchup is a no-no
- Enjoy dinner theater, gangster style, visit Tommy Gun’s Garage
- We have Bulls, Bears, Black Hawks, White Sox and the Sky, pick your team and see a game
- Don’t leave without indulging in a bag of Garrett’s Popcorn, try the famous Chicago Mix
If you’re in the city but you provide a calmer more relaxing visit, head to the lakefront and enjoy a peaceful sabbatical on Lake Michigan.