Seven Cool Essential Oils For Hair
At Lavender and Eve, we are passionate about essential oils and the sense of healing and nourishment they can provide for the mind, body and spirit and my case “hair.” Stress and side effects from prescribed medicine resulted my having one ugly case of alopecia which lead to more stress and more alopecia. Research and meditation pointed me towards essential oils as part of my hair care maintenance and I’ve been hooked ever since.
Winter has arrived in full force and for most of us that can mean a bad case of hat-head. For those unfamiliar with hat-head, it’s the shape your style morphs into when you remove your winter cap. Woolen or wool-like hats and scarves along with harsh winter weather can also cause the hair to become dry, brittle and result in breakage. While it might seem easy to put on a hat and proceed with the day, one must remember that hair care and maintenance are just as important in Winter as in warmer seasons.
Silk scarves, deep conditioning treatments, regular trims, diet and water are all vital parts of a beautiful mane. Consider adding the following essential oils to your hair care regimen.
- Lavender Oil – nourishes dry and dull hair that is prone to split ends, balances sebum production. Its powerful antiseptic and antimicrobial action makes it excellent for controlling dandruff and scalp acne complicated by fungal or bacterial infections.
- Rosemary Oil – aids against thinning hair and helps improve micro-circulation in the scalp. It is packed full of antioxidants that help combat premature graying and hair thinning.
- Peppermint Oil – is known for its cooling effect. it improves blood flow to the area. This property is very useful for the rejuvenation of hair follicles and promotion of hair growth.
- Clary Sage Oil – purifies and cleanses the scalp, removes dead skin cells and promotes new cell growth. Can be particularly useful in preventing or reversing premature balding.
- Cedarwood Oil – stimulates hair follicles promotes healthy circulation in the scalp. Its antiseptic action helps control bacterial and fungal problems, including dandruff.
- Carrot Seed Oil – rich in antioxidants, great for the scalp as well as split ends
- Geranium Oil – great aid in strengthening and nourishing hair and scalp
When using essential oils, please remember these important facts.
- Most essential oils should be used with a carrier oil before using on skin
- Always use the correct proportion of essentail oil and carrier oil
- Do not ingest essential oils
- Keep out of the reach of children
- Read caution labels provided with each oil